There's nothing better than getting a pop of fresh cranberries in your mouth. Be sure to use fresh and not dried to improve mouthfeel. If you're in NYC like me, buy your cranberries at Union Square Greenmarket and freeze them so you can have them year-round.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 15 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups of sour cream, room temp
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven 350 F.
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together sugar and butter. When mixed, add the egg.
- When the egg is fully incorporated, slowly add the buttermilk until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and whisk until blended.
- Fold in the fresh cranberries.
- Pour the mixture into one, 6-inch cake pan and bake for 40 min.
- While cake is baking, begin frosting by melting the chocolate in a bain marie, stir it until melted.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the sour cream, corn syrup and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly add the chocolate until the mixture is uniform.
- Taste, if needed, add more corn syrup one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired level of sweetness.
- Let it cool at room temp or in refrigerator until it reaches spreadable consistency (around 30 minutes).
- Once the cake is done, place on a rack to cool, then run a knife around the edges and place it on a plate to frost.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
Active Time 30 minutes. Total Time 1 hour & 15 minutes.