Throwing a fabulous, fire-cracking Fourth of July fête? This cake is the perfect dessert / centerpiece / thing to Instagram! Moreover, it is completely delicious.
• 2 cups & 1 tbs. flour
• 1 t baking powder
• 3/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 t table salt
• 1 stick butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 t vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• Red & blue food dye
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 t salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• (Up to) 1/2 cup of heavy cream
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with Pam.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
• In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
• Beat in egg whites.
• Gradually add in buttermilk until just combined.
• Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
• Divide batter equally among 3 separate bowls. Add red & blue food dye to 2 of the bowls to make red and blue cake batter. Keep the remaining bowl white.
• Pour 6 Tablespoons of each batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are golden.
• While the cakes are in the oven, whisk together ingredients for buttercream until fluffy.
• Remove cakes from the oven & allow to cool for 15 minutes. Then cakes remove from pan.
- Using a serrated knife, cut off the bumps of the cakes, so they are flat.
• Once the cakes have cooled completely, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
• Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.