Chocolate Heaven Cake
In college, I dated a boy whose mother baked this absolutely perfect chocolate cake: moist and sweet and perfect. After a year, I left the guy but kept this recipe. By slightly tweaking the canonical Baker's Chocolate Cake recipe, I found perfection in Mrs. Kramer's recipe: a cake that is a little more chocolatey -- and that appeals to subsequent boyfriends.
• 2.5 oz. chocolate chips
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 eggs, separated
• 1 cup flour
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 2 or 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
• Whisk egg whites until they form tight peaks. Set aside.
• Combine chocolate and water, microwave for 1-2 minutes or until completely melted.
• Stir chocolate mixture at 30 second intervals.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
• In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
• In the following order, gradually add: egg yolks, vanilla extract, melted chocolate mixture.
• Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
• Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
• Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
• While cake is in oven, cream butter for frosting until smooth.
• Add sugar, salt, and vanilla to butter until creamy.
• Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
• Once the cakes have cooled, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.
Note: This cake batter is enough for 3 4-inch cake pans.