For a special occasion like a birthday or new job, this cake is basically a confetti party. The recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Best Birthday Cake
• 2 cups & 1 tbs. flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 3/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. table salt
• 1 stick butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 eggs at room temperature
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 4 tbs. rainbow sprinkles
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 2 or 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt.
• In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
• Beat in egg whites.
• Gently beat in buttermilk until just combined.
• Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
• Gently mix in sprinkles, one tbs. at a time.
• Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
• While the cake is in the oven, whisk together ingredients for buttercream until fluffy.
• Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
• Once the cakes have cooled, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.
Note: This cake batter is enough for 3 4-inch cake pans.