Peanut Butter Cake
When I was a little girl, I went to an all-girls sleep-away camp in Maine for 8 weeks every summer. All I ate was peanut butter sandwiches. Since then, I have associated peanut butter with summer, and it explains why I crave peanut butter this time of year. I'll say that this recipe, inspired by Stephie Cooks' own recipe, is really delicious and hits the summer peanut butter spot!
- 1 1/8 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 T unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1.5 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray three 4-inch cake pans with Pam.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together peanut butter, butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs to wet mixture, one at a time.
- Gradually add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and then slowly add all of the buttermilk. When the batter begins to come together, add the remaining flour mixture until the mixture is fully combined.
- Divide batter among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden on top.
- While cakes are in the oven, in a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment), beat the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer running on low, add confections' sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Taste. Add an extra pinch of salt if needed.
- Allow cakes to cool 15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Using a serrated knife, cut off any bumps on the cakes to create flat cake layers.
- Once the cakes have cooled and have been cut, spread Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting in between each cake layer.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
40 minutes active time, 70 minutes total time. Serves 6.