I can't deny that it took me a few tries to refine this authentic Italian dish. It looks easy, and in many ways it is, but do not be misled by the few ingredients and short preparation time needed; it takes precise timing to cook pasta like a true Roman!
- 600 grams of spaghetti
- 250 grams of Pecorino Romano cheese
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pink pepper corns.
- Pour water into a tall pot (about three quarters of the way up) and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheese.
- When the water boils, add the salt and the pasta.
- Use the instructions on the pasta box as a guideline for how long to keep the pasta in. However, pay close attention to cook it al dente; try the pasta, it should have a little bite.
- 2 minutes before you take the pasta off the heat, heat a serving bowl by placing it on top of the pot.
- After 2 minutes, remove the serving bowl and drain the pasta.
- Put the pasta into the heated serving bowl and add the cheese.
- Keeping tossing the pasta until the cheese has melted and reached a creamy consistency. If it gets too thick, add more water.
- Just before you serve, sprinkle on the pink pepper corns and mix.
Serves 6. 20 minutes active time, 25 minutes total time.