Everyone in my family loves marzipan, and I have been making almond cake for my Grandfather since I was a little girl. I originally used a recipe from the side of an almond can, but over the years I have tweaked it -- and now I replace the AP flour with gluten-free flour for friends who follow a gluten-free diet. It can become a family staple in your house, too!
- 3/4 cup almond paste
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free almond flour
- 8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Prepare 2, 6-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attached, combine almond paste with sugar until it makes a grainy paste.
- Add the butter and vanilla extract and mix until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Add vanilla.
- Combine gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly to wet mixture.
- Once the mixture is smooth and creamy, pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the top becomes golden brown and feels set when you press the center.
- While cake is baking, whisk together mascarpone frosting ingredients.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread mascarpone frosting in between each cake layer.
- Spread mascarpone frosting around the sides of the cake.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
Active Time: 30 minutes, Total Time: 1.5 hours. Serves 6.