Rainbow Pride Cake
Today, for the NYC Gay Pride Parade, we prepared this gorgeous rainbow layered cake. In light of the recent Orlando attacks, we wanted to bake something that tasted like happiness & hope. The cake recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Best Birthday Cake, but the colored cake layer stacking and Chefanie Sheet application was all us :D
• 2 cups & 1 tbs. flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 3/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. table salt
• 1 stick butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• Red, yellow, and blue food dye
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 6 4-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt.
• In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
• Beat in egg whites.
• Gently beat in buttermilk until just combined.
• Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
• Divide batter equally among 6 separate bowls and add food dye to each bowl to make red, orange (red + yellow food coloring), yellow, green (blue + yellow food coloring), blue, and purple (blue + red food coloring) cake batter.
• Pour each batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are golden.
• While the cake is in the oven, whisk together ingredients for buttercream until fluffy.
• Remove cakes from the oven cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
• Once the cakes have cooled, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
• Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.