The "short" in Strawberry Shortcake comes from to shorten, which in the 15th century meant "easily crumbled." Centuries later we may not use the same vernacular but our cake is definitely just as delicious :) especially when we pick the strawberries on the North Fork of Long Island!
• 3/4 cup almond paste
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 stick butter, softened
• ½ cup sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• ½ cup flour
• 8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
• ½ cup confectioner's sugar
• 1 cup strawberries, sliced and diced
• 2 tsp. sugar
• Pinch of salt
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 2 or 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine almond paste with sugar until it makes a grainy paste.
• Add the stick of butter and the 3 eggs to the mixture and continue to mix.
• Once it is smooth, add vanilla. Then, incorporate the baking powder and flour into the mix.
• Once the mixture is smooth and creamy, pour into 2 4-inch cake pans.
• Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until fluffy.
• While cake is baking, whisk together mascarpone icing ingredients.
• Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
• Once the cakes have cooled, spread mascarpone icing and strawberries in between each cake layer.
- Spread mascarpone icing around the sides of the cake.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 50 minutes total time. Serves 6.
Note: This cake batter is enough for 3 4-inch cake pans.