For any celebratory gathering, girls night in, or sweet tooth craving-this cake will always hit the spot. The recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Best Birthday Cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 2 t salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 t vanilla extract
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare three 4-inch cake pans by spraying with pam.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gently beat in buttermilk until just combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- While cakes are in the oven, in a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer (fitted with a whisk), beat the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer running on low, add confections' sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Taste. Add an extra pinch of salt if needed.
- Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pans.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.
Note: This cake batter is enough for three 4-inch cake pans.