Your guests are sure to check this cake again once they see the inside! The recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Best Birthday Cake.
- 2 cups & 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- black and orange food dye (can add 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder to half of mixture instead of black dye)
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- (upt to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare 2, 6-inch cake pans by spraying with Pam.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gradually add in buttermilk until just combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
- Divide batter equally among 2 separate bowls and add food dye to each bowl to make orange (red + yellow food coloring) and black (add all colors together and some cocoa powder to get it as dark as possible) cake batter.
- Pour 6 tbsp of batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- While cakes are in the oven, whisk together ingredients for buttercream frosting until fluffy.
- With the mixer running on low, add confections' sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Taste. Add an extra pinch of salt if needed.
- Remove cakes from oven a& allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pans.
- Place cakes in fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until they feel cold and firm.
- Using a serrated knife, cut off the bumps of the cakes, so they are flat.
- Cut the orange & black cakes horizontally to create 2 layers. Cut each layer into circles (large, medium, and small).
- Place one medium black ring into the large orange ring. Cover the center of the black ring with an orange circle. Repeat with other rings.
- Place a layer of black outside ring color on flat surface like a cake pad or cake stand. Spread buttercream.
- Place a layer of orange outside ring color on top. Spread buttercream.
- Place a layer of black outside ring color on top. Spread buttercream.
- Finish with the orange outside ring color. Spread buttercream on the top & sides of the cake.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
Note: this cake serves 6.
Active Time 30 minutes. Total Time1 hour.