A sweet girly twist on the traditional Italian dessert-- shades of pink for Galentines, Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, and more.
- 8 ounces of marzipan or almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 food colorings of your choice (in this case, pink)
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line three 9x13 inch baking pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff, fluffy peaks. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter, sugar, and marzipan. Mix until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides of the mixer to incorporate. Once smooth, add egg yolks, milk, and almond extract. Add all the flour until evenly combined.
- Fold egg whites into main mixture, being careful not to knock the air out of them.
- Divide the mixture evenly into three bowls.
- Add varying levels of (pink) food coloring to each separate bowl until it reaches the desired color.
- Spread each color across a different 9x13 inch pan, making sure that the batter is a consistent thickness. We used a non-stick spatula and a frosting knife to spread the batter evenly. You can use a toothpick to check the height of the batter is even throughout.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cake bounces back lightly when touched
- After the cakes have cooled, assemble them by spreading a thin layer of jam between each cake.
- After the cake has been assembled, cover it in plastic wrap and allow it to chill for at least an hour.
- Melt the chocolate and spread it over the top of the cakes, and then allow the chocolate to set. Be careful:
- Once the chocolate has set, trim the edges of the cake. Then, cut into 1 ½ x 1 ½ inch pieces
Makes 20 treats.