- 4 Cornish hens
- 2 large yellow onions
- Olive oil (as needed)
- Kosher salt (as needed)
- Freshly ground pepper (as needed)
- Cornbread stuffing
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 5 cups cornbread
- 2 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- chives, chopped (for garnish)
- kitchen string
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the onion and cut into slices.
- Place onions into a roasting pan (lined with foil) in a single flat layer.
- Gather ingredients for stuffing.
- Crumble cornbread in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
- Add the onion mixture to the cornbread.
- Add the celery & chicken stock.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper; mix together.
- Remove giblets from the hens, and rinse them inside and out.
- Pat the insides and outsides dry with paper towel.
- Pack cavities of hens with the cornbread stuffing.
- Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Place hens in pan.
- Rub hens with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast 40 minutes or until juices run clear when you cut into a leg.
- Garnish with chives.
25 minutes active time, 65 minutes total time. Serves 8.
Inspired by the Kitchenbowl recipe.