• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 eggs, separated
• 1 cup flour
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 2 or 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with canola oil.
• Whisk egg whites until they form tight peaks. Set aside.
• For caramel: combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. While stirring, allow sugar to melt and bring mixture to a boil. Heat until dark amber in color. Remove from heat.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
• In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until combined.
• In the following order, gradually add: egg yolks, vanilla extract, caramel.
• Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
• Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
• Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
• While cake is in oven, cream butter for frosting until smooth. Then, add sugar, salt, and vanilla until creamy.
• Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
• Refrigerate cakes for 15 minutes, then using a serrated knife cut off top “bump.”
• Once the cakes have cooled, spread Buttercream Frosting in between each cake layer.
• Spread remaining frosting around the sides of the layered cake.
• Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.
Note: This cake batter is enough for 3 4-inch cake pans.