Even if you aren't the most adventurous eater, anyone can get behind this Matcha Cake with Chefanie's signature Buttercream Frosting. With just a hint of that green tea taste, this cake packs an extra punch and is sure to wow your guests this holiday season. Oh, and the color is amazing as well!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- (Up to) 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare three, 4-inch cake pans by spraying with pam.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, and matcha powder. Set aside.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gently beat in buttermilk until just combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- While cakes are in the oven, in a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer (fitted with a whisk), beat the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer running on low, add confections' sugar, matcha powder, and salt.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Taste. Add an extra pinch of salt if needed.
- Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pans.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread buttercream in between each cake layer.
- Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
Note: This cake batter is enough for three 4-inch cake pans and serves 6.
Active Time 30 minutes. Total Time 1 hour.