Throwing a fabulous Olympics viewing party? Memorial Day Barbecue? July 4th Brunch? This inside-out American flag cake is not for the faint of heart. You can shop Flag Chefanie Sheets here.
• 2 cups & 1 tbs. flour
• 1 t baking powder
• 3/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 t table salt
• 1 stick butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 t vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• Red & blue food dye
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 t salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• (Up to) 1/2 cup of heavy cream
• 3 tsp. vanilla extract
• Preheat oven to 350
• Prepare 3 4-inch cake pans by spraying with Pam.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
• In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in vanilla.
• Beat in eggs.
• Gradually add in buttermilk until just combined.
• Slowly add flour mixture until completely smooth.
• Divide batter among 3 separate bowls: half in 1 bowl, a quarter in a second bowl, and the last quarter in a third bowl. Add red food dye to the first bowl, blue food dye to the second bowl, and nothing to the remaining bowl of uncolored batter. You should make 2 red cakes, 2 white cakes, and 1 blue cake.
• Pour 6 Tablespoons of each batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
• While the cakes are in the oven, whisk together ingredients for buttercream until fluffy.
• Remove cakes from the oven & allow to cool for 15 minutes. Then remove cakes from each pan.
• Using a serrated knife, cut off the bumps of the cakes, so they are flat.
• Cut the red, white, and blue cakes horizontally to create 4 layers of red cake, 4 layers of white cake, and 2 layers of blue cake.
• Place a layer of red cake on a flat surface like a cake pad or cake stand. Spread Buttercream.
• Place a layer of white cake on top of the red layer. Spread Buttercream.
• Place a layer of red cake on top of the white layer. Spread Buttercream.
• This is the tough-ish part: using a round guideline that is smaller than the diameter of the cake (like a soda can or a cookie cutter), cut a red, white, and 2 blue cake layers.
• Place the smaller circle of white cake in the center of the outer circle of the blue cake on the outside. Spread Buttercream.
• Place the smaller circle of red cake in the center of the other layer of blue cake (just like the white cake layer0. Spread Buttercream on the top & sides of the cake.
• Apply #ChefanieSheet & enjoy!
30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time. Serves 6.