Red Ashkenazi Brisket
Wrote this recipe for Millennials who might have to do a solo Passover under the current Quarantine circumstances and have never before cooked a seder. Lacks Mom's je-ne-sais-quoi, but it'll pass... Next year, in person!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine salt and paprika in a small bowl, then rub all over brisket.
- Heat oil in a Dutch Oven (or another pot with lid) over medium-high heat. Add brisket to pot and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes per side. Pour out fat rendered from meat. Scrape any brown bits created from searing.
- Add stock and tomato sauce to pot. Return brisket to pot. Add onions and garlic to pot. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and braise brisket for 1 hour.
- Uncover pot and continue to braise brisket for 1 hour more.
- Move onions and garlic on top of brisket. Cover pot, return to oven, and continue to braise brisket, until very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes more.
- Move brisket to a cutting board to rest. Slice brisket across the grain and transfer to servingware. Spoon sauce on top. Serve.