We've all felt the post-pasta bloat and guilt, especially during the summer. It doesn't always have to be that way. Here's a healthy twist on a classic pesto recipe that uses whole wheat pasta and broccoli florets. Enjoy!
- 1/2 pound broccoli florets
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, green shoots removed
- 1 cup basil leaves, tightly packed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 package cherry tomatoes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil
- Put broccoli florets into boiling water to tenderize (approximately 3 minutes)
- Take the broccoli florets out of the pot and then, in the same pot, add the package of whole wheat spaghetti to cook
- Add all other ingredients to a food processor and chop until smooth
- Add the pesto to the spaghetti
- Halve cherry tomatoes and garnish on top of pasta