Brown Butter Cacio e Pepe
- 600 grams of spaghetti
- 250 grams of Pecorino Romano cheese
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper corns
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- Leave 1/2 stick of butter out to soften in room temperature
- Pour water into a tall pot (about three quarters of the way up) and bring it to a boil
- Meanwhile, grate the cheese
- When the water boils, add the salt and the pasta
- Use the instructions on the pasta box as a guideline for how long to keep the pasta in. However, pay close attention to cook it al dente; try the pasta, it should have a little bite.
- At the same time, melt softened butter in a not nonstick pan, cook at high heat for 3-4 minutes until butter turns brown and nutty.
- Add a generous pinch of crushed pepper corns to the brown butter and cook at 3/4 heat for 4-5 minutes
- When the pasta is nearly done, add 1/3 cup of pasta water to the butter and pepper.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and pout it into the sauce pan.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Keeping tossing the pasta until the cheese has melted and water is completely reduced
- Just before you serve, sprinkle a few peppercorns and grated cheese on top
Serves 4. 20 minutes active time, 30 minutes total time.