Focaccia is one of my favorite breads, especially to bring to the beach as a snack. In this rendition, I included vegetables, herbs, and edible flower petals from my garden to create an edible garden on the bread. The end result impressed guests in multiple senses.
3 c bread flour
- 3.5 c AP flower
2¼ t. active dry yeast
¼ t sugar
2 T kosher salt
5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing and drizzling
Maldon sea salt
- Garden vegetables, herbs, and edible flowers, such as: asparagus, red onion, cherry tomatoes, rosemary, sunflowers
Combine flours and 2½ c lukewarm water in the bowl of a mixer. Mix with dough hook on low speed. Incorporate into a dough ball.
- In a separate small bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and ½ c warm water. Mix until dissolved. Let mixture sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture in mixing bowl. Cover the bowl with a rag to prevent spilling, and mix on low speed until dough absorbs the liquid.
- Mix in salt
- Continue to mix until ball is tacky and then mix another 5 minutes.
- Knead on a cold, floured surface for 3 minutes.
- In a clean mixing bowl, pour 3 T oil and coat sides with oil.
- Put the dough ball in the bowl. Cover with a damp towel and saran wrap.
- Allow to sit in a warm place for 2-3 hours until the dough ball has doubled in size.
- After 2-3 hours of rising, drizzle 2 T oil over a 18 x 13 inch baking sheet. Use a paper towel to cover the whole surface of the sheet pan with oil.
- Uncover the dough ball, which should have doubled in size. Punch it to deflate. Put the dough ball onto oiled sheet pan and begin gently stretching it to cover the surface of the baking sheet. It should be as evenly spread as possible. Flip the dough, so that the oiled bottom of the dough becomes the top of the dough. Use your finger tips to make dots in the dough, creating focaccia's signature texture.
- Cover dough with damp towel and saran wrap. Allow to rise another 1-2 hours in a warm place,
- When the dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 425F. Uncover the dough, and gently stretch the dough to the corners of the sheet pan.
- Then, decorate the bread. Use your garden vegetables, herbs, and edible flowers to make some flowers on the bread. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with Maldon salt.
- Bake dough until golden bread, approximately 25-35 minutes. Let cool and then, enjoy!
Serves 16 people. 1 hour active time, 7 hours total time.