Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Truffle Twist
For Victory Club's Truffle Shabbat at Urbani, Chefanie served her signature chocolate chip cookies topped with Urbani's Truffle Salt for that irresistible sweet & salty combination. Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (moist)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat (avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown butter). Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly, until butter is dark golden brown, 1-3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Add remaining 4 tbsp butter and stir until completely melted.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla to melted butter. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add egg and yolk. Whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds.
- Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny.
- Using rubber spatula, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Give dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Working with 3 tablespoons of dough at a time, use a melon baller to scoop dough onto baking sheet. Place dough balls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are golden brown, still puffy, and edges have begun to set but center are soft, 10-14 minutes. Rotate baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Transfer baking sheet to wire rack.
- Add a pinch of truffle salt on top of cookies before cooling.
- Let cookies cool to room temp before serving.
20 minutes active time, 40 minutes total time. Serves 16.